Have you ever wondered, what if there was an application that lets you record video from both the front and back camera? Well, Android has actually come up with their own utility for accessing multiple cameras at the same time but apple decided to do it a little differently. With Apple, the dev can actually use both front and back camera at the same time. Therefore, considering the current feature update, one of our clients wanted to integrate this feature into his application. In order to display that this is perfectly achievable, our organisation created a PoC of their own. The work was developed by our tech lead Simran Kaur who has been bestowed with the responsibility of developing the full concept into an app.
Prerequisites for Using the Apple MultiCamera Recording feature:
- In order to use the feature, we need a minimum of iOS 13 as the Operating System.
- The feature requires A12 or later in your iPhone for it to work.
- The feature requires A12X or later in your iPad for it to work.
Note: All of these prerequisites are available in the following versions of iPhone: iPhone XR, XS, XSMax and 11 models.
It is really simple to use the app that we have developed using Swift in Xcode. The whole development took place natively. This PoC is basically a small iPhone app using both cameras at once.
In order to use the PoC, there are a couple of easy steps that you have to perform:
- Firstly, Open the application.
- Now Click on the record(this will let you record from both front and back camera at the same time.
- Once you are done, click on the Stop button.
The recorder will save the recorded video in your gallery. From there the user can do any sort of editing he/she wants with the video. One can also share the video with their peers.
Previously, it wasn’t possible to create an application like this. The reason was simple, Hardware Limitations. It wasn’t possible to generate the amount of power required to run both the cameras simultaneously. Although, with the latest iOS 13 OS and the A12 processor, these limitations were removed from the pedestal. This led to effective use of both front and back cameras at the same time. Now, it was possible to use them both in a single session where the user can actually switch focus between the front and the back camera. Our PoC was based on this utility provided by Apple which was initially much requested by many people.
Limitation of MultiCamera Features:
- This feature doesn’t allow a single cam to create multiple videos at the same time. This simply means that you can generate a single session with a single camera. By now, you are only capable of generating one video per camera.
- It also doesn’t allow using multiple cameras into a single output.
- One cannot preset both the cameras to perform at a higher preset. This in layman terms means that the video in focus will be having a different quality than the one that is not. The feature doesn’t allow high-quality video session for both integrated videos that are being made in a single session.
Why we created a PoC despite showing Dualgram?
Well, whenever a new feature is launched there are multiple vendors that claim that they can come up with an effective app. Without a doubt, Dualgram is a great application that lets you do everything imaginable with both the cameras that the hardware allows. Although, since this would be used more like a feature and not as a full-fledged app, therefore, it is essential that we know how to manipulate the code and make it work for us. In case, if you wish to see our PoC working then here is the video below:
Note: To reach the sample code that was used to create our PoC, click on the link here.
So this was our take on iPhone App using both cameras at once. It is essential that we are capable of utilising all the hardware capabilities that are integrated into a device to its max potential. Well, using both the camera is one such feature that is going to be exploited in the future a lot many times. Also, we are ready for it. In case if you are looking for an app development company then maybe we can help. In order to send us an enquiry mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have also written an article over Top Screen Sharing Apps on Android, therefore, to reach the article click on the link provided. We hope this article may have been of some help to you. Also, thank you for reading it until the end.