13 Best Alternatives to Airbnb
Traveling and finding a comfortable place to stay can be a challenge, when it comes to finding a balance between cost, comfort, and location. Airbnb has revolutionized the travel and accommodation industry by connecting travelers with local hosts who offer unique and not so expensive places to stay. Born in 2007 the annual revenue generated by Airbnb in 2022 was $2.884 Billion. However, they are not the only players in the game. With the growth of the sharing economy, there have been many alternatives that have popped up, each offering something a little different.
From eco-friendly stays that come in budgets to luxury villas, these alternatives cater to different travel styles and budgets. In this article, we will explore 13 best alternatives to airbnb. Our focus will be on the monthly visits to the website and the annual revenue generated in 2022. We have also mentioned their unique features, pros and cons. Whether you are looking for a more useful option or simply want to try something new, these alternatives are worth checking out.
List of Best Airbnb Alternatives
Are you tired of sifting through countless Airbnb listings to find the perfect place to stay during your travels? It’s time to broaden your horizons and explore other options in the growing world of vacation rental platforms. Whether you’re looking for a more sustainable option, a local experience, or just a change of pace, these alternatives are surely for you as they offer the perfect home away from home. So sit back, relax, and learn about the world of vacation rental alternatives to Airbnb.
Monthly Visits: 37.2 M
Annual Revenue: $385 M
VRBO, or Vacation Rentals by Owner, initially known as HomeAway, is one of the leading alternatives to Airbnb. It is a popular vacation rental platform that connects travelers with property owners around the world. Since its establishment in 1995, VRBO has been using technology to improve the rental experience for both guests and owners.
Features: VRBO website is user-friendly, i.e. intuitive, easy to navigate, and provides a wealth of information about each property. Travelers can search for properties based on location, price, and amenities, making it easy to find the perfect place to stay. Additionally, VRBO mobile apps allow travelers to search for properties and manage their bookings on-the-go.
VRBO utilizes advanced security technologies to protect the personal and financial information of its users. They use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information during online transactions, ensuring that all transactions are secure.
VRBO also includes a comprehensive payment system, which allows travelers to easily make payments and track their transactions.
- Wide Selection of Properties: They offer a vast selection of properties, from beachfront villas to mountain cabins.
- Long-term Listings: They allow owners to list their properties for long-term rentals, making it a great option for those looking for a longer stay.
- Owner Direct Booking: They allow travelers to book directly with the owner, eliminating the need for a middleman and potentially leading to better deals.
- Service Fees: They might charge service fees, which can add up and make the overall cost of the rental more expensive.
- Limited Host Support: Unlike Airbnb, VRBO does not offer a 24/7 host support system, which can be a drawback for those in need of assistance during their stay.
Monthly Visits: 477.4 K
Annual Revenue: $16.022 B
Booking.com is a popular online platform that connects travelers with holiday rental owners from 1996. Booking.com offers short-term housing and apartment rentals. With a user-friendly platform, it’s easy to book these types of accommodations. However, this also means there is limited interaction with the host, similar to booking a hotel.
Features: Users can easily search for a suitable place to stay by entering their trip details and narrowing down the options with various filters such as budget, property type, facilities, and location. The platform provides useful information about each property, including the price and number of bedrooms, and offers special accessibility features for travelers with specific needs.
- Wide Range of Accommodations: Booking.com offers a large variety of stays, from budget-friendly hostels to 5-star resorts.
- Convenient Search Options: Users can easily search for accommodations by specifying their trip details and using filters.
- Limited Customer Support: Some users have reported issues with customer support.
- Mixed Reviews: The quality of accommodation can vary, with some travelers reporting negative experiences.
3. Agoda Homes
Monthly Visits: 80.4 M
Annual Revenue: $760 M
Agoda is widely recognized as the largest online travel agency in Asia, offering over 1.8 million quality accommodations including hotels, resorts, budget hostels, and now homes. Unlike other Airbnb websites, Agoda Homes only features entire apartments or homes listed directly by the owners. This eliminates the need for direct contact with the host, allowing for a more streamlined check-in and check-out process. However, guests are still welcome to request local recommendations from the host.
Features: Agoda Homes offers a unique perk for solo travelers, providing a discount of up to 12% on rental prices by selecting the “solo traveler” option during the search. This makes it a great option for those traveling alone and looking for an affordable, comfortable, and private place to stay.
- Entire Homes for Rent: Agoda Homes offers entire apartments or homes, providing travelers with a more private and comfortable experience.
- Competitive Pricing: They offer competitive prices, making it an attractive option for budget-conscious travelers.
- Limited Host Interaction: Minimal exchanges with hosts may not be suitable for travelers who like to interact.
Monthly Visits: 202.8 K
Annual Revenue: $15 M
Features: Extensive property listings ranging from apartments to entire homes. Since it is owned by TripAdvisor, users can access additional travel information and reviews through TripAdvisor. Flipkey provides property owners with tools to manage their listings, including the ability to update property details, manage availability, and respond to inquiries from travelers.
- User reviews: They allow travelers to leave reviews of their experiences with the property and the host. Which might be valuable information to other travelers.
- User-friendly: A simple and intuitive platform that is easy to use for both travelers and property owners.
- Customer Support: They offer 24/7 customer support to help with any issues during the booking process.
- Limited Exposure: Some property owners may find that their listing doesn’t get as much exposure as they expect on the platform.
Monthly Visits: 49.5 K
Annual Revenue: $10 M
In a complied list of the best alternatives to Airbnb next is 9flats.com. Another vacation rental platform that offers travelers a wide range of stays. 9flats.com includes apartments, homes, and rooms in over 200 countries worldwide. It has set itself apart from Airbnb by offering a collection of entire apartments for rent, rather than just individual rooms. With a wide range of properties available, travelers are sure to find a suitable place to stay no matter which destination they are picking for a vacation.
Features: The listings on the website display the maximum occupancy and the minimum number of nights required. 9flats uses secure payment systems to ensure that travelers’ personal and financial information is protected.
- Authentic Travel Experience: Staying in a local resident’s home or apartment provides a more personal and authentic travel experience.
- Instant Booking: The booking process is straightforward and efficient.
- No Unique Listings: The lack of unique listings may limit selection for travelers who may have more exclusive preferences.
Monthly Visits: 305.5 K
Annual Revenue: $3 M
Homestay is a home rental platform that connects travelers with hosts. The platform was created with the goal of providing travelers with a more authentic and affordable travel experience. With Homestay, travelers have the option to book a private room in a host’s home for a specified duration. This differs from traditional vacation home rental services, offering both short and long-term options.
Homestay is an excellent option for solo travelers and students, as they can book a host’s extra room(s) for their stay. With a vast selection of over 63,000 rooms in 176 cities across the globe, travelers are sure to find suitable accommodation that fits their needs.
Features: When staying with a Homestay host, travelers have the opportunity to immerse themselves in local life. They can gain insight into the culture and traditions, enjoy meals and learn more about their way of life. The Homestay website provides a convenient overview of each rental, including the number of reviews, minimum and maximum days allowed, and price, to help travelers make an informed decision.
To aid in the search process, Homestay provides filters such as meal options, the types of travelers the host welcomes, hobbies, amenities, and accessibility. These filters help refine search results and ensure that travelers find a home that fits their needs. The “host welcomes” filter is particularly useful for female travelers as it allows them to find female-friendly homestays.
- Affordability: They offer affordable stay as compared to hotels.
- Cultural Exchange: They allow travelers to experience a destination like a local and gain a deeper cultural understanding.
- Host Interaction: They offer the opportunity for travelers to interact with their hosts, who can provide advice on what to do and see.
- Application: The mobile app is only available for Android.
- Comfort Level: Some travelers may not feel comfortable staying in someone else’s home.
- Privacy: Since your stay is in someone else’s home, privacy may be limited.
Monthly Visits: 789.8 K
Annual Revenue: $233 M
Sonder offers a unique experience that blends the affordability and flexibility of Airbnb with the comfort and luxury of a hotel stay. With private rental apartments available in various cities around the world, guests can enjoy the privacy and freedom of having their own space including kitchen and living area.
As of 2021, Sonder has over 5,000 listings in over 35 cities and is constantly growing. Whether you’re looking for a cozy studio in New York or a spacious six-bedroom apartment in Montreal. You will have a remarkable stay with Sonder.
Features: Sonder is a technology-driven hospitality company that provides travelers with unique and comfortable living spaces in some of the world’s most vibrant cities.
Their highly efficient app makes it easy for guests to manage their stay without having to interact with the homeowner directly. From checking in to requesting fresh towels to getting recommendations for local dining options, the app is designed to make the guest experience as smooth and stress-free as possible.
- 24/7 Concierge Service: Sonder offers a 24/7 concierge service for guests who need assistance.
- Wide Range of Listings: Sonder has a large number of listings in multiple cities, offering guests a wide range of options for next vacation.
- Limited Availability: Despite having a wide range of listings, Sonder is not available in all cities, limiting its accessibility for some travelers.
- Higher Cost: Compared to other vacation rental options, Sonder’s accommodation may be more expensive, making it less accessible for budget-conscious travelers.
8. Plum Guide
Monthly Visits: 326.3 K
Annual Revenue: $25 M
Plum Guide focuses on providing a high-quality vacation rental experience. They rigorously vet each property before adding it to their collection. Their team of Home Critics inspects each property to ensure that it meets their standards. The stringent vetting process ensures that guests are guaranteed an exceptional, magnificent vacation rental.
Features: Plum Guide offerings range from luxury villas in Miami Beach to chic apartments in key cities throughout Europe and the United States. They also have vacation rental homes in smaller regional locations, making them a great choice for those seeking a stay-cation with a touch of luxury.
- No surprises or fake reviews: Thanks to the strict vetting process. Travelers do not have to worry about any unwanted surprises or fake reviews.
- Customer Service: Plum Guide prides itself on its customer service and has a concierge team of experts available seven days a week to help travelers.
- Transparent information: They have a “Home Truths” section in each listing, which provides transparent information about the property and its amenities.
- Cost: Due to the high quality of the properties, travelers may have to pay a premium price.
- Limited Availability: As of strict vetting process, the selection of properties may be limited.
Monthly Visits: 86.6 K
Annual Revenue: $29 M
Onefinestay is a luxury home rental platform that utilizes technology to offer a personalized travel experience for its guests. The company is known for its luxurious and spacious homes, which are hand-picked and carefully curated to provide travelers with a comfortable and relaxed stay in their desired destination.
Features: The key technology used by Onefinestay is their proprietary reservation system. The system is designed to handle all aspects of the booking process, from initial inquiry to checkout. It integrates with a range of other technologies, such as payment processing and housekeeping systems, to ensure a seamless and efficient experience for guests.
The Onefinestay mobile app allows guests to access information about their stay, such as check-in and checkout times, as well as local recommendations and insider tips. The app also provides real-time updates and allows guests to communicate directly with the Onefinestay team.
- High-Quality Properties: They offer an exclusive collection of luxurious and spacious homes.
- Eco-Friendly Practices: They are committed to using eco-friendly and sustainable practices.
- Higher Prices: Due to the high-quality properties and personalized service offered by OneFinestay, prices may be higher.
Monthly Visits: 2.5 M
Annual Revenue: $889 M
Vacasa is a leading full-service vacation rental management company that leverages cutting-edge technology to make vacation rental management easy and stress-free for homeowners. Vacasa’s proprietary technology is designed to optimize the entire vacation rental experience for both homeowners and guests.
Features: Vacasa’s powerful property management system (PMS) provides a end-to-end solution for managing all aspects of a vacation rental, including reservations, check-ins and check-outs, maintenance, and billing.
In addition to its PMS, Vacasa also uses advanced data analytics and machine learning algorithms to optimize pricing, marketing, and operations. The company’s data science team works tirelessly to analyze vast amounts of data, including market trends, occupancy rates, and guest behavior, to provide actionable insights that help drive results for homeowners.
- Data-Driven Approach: They use advanced data analytics and machine learning algorithms to inform their pricing, marketing, and operational strategies. This helps with the company’s optimized performance and increases revenue for homeowners.
- User-Friendly Website: They invest in user-friendly, mobile-responsive websites. This makes it easy for guests to find and book vacation rentals. This helps drive bookings and build customer loyalty.
- Not Budget friendly: It may not be ideal for budget travelers.
- Limited Destinations: Limited number of locations included.
11. Kid & Coe
Monthly Visits: 20.9 K
Annual Revenue: $5 M
Kid & Coe is a luxury vacation rental platform that offers family-friendly accommodations. The platform is designed to cater to families traveling with children. The features properties are equipped with kid-friendly amenities such as cribs, high chairs, and toys. With the vision of making travel with children as easy as A, B, and C, they have vetted properties listed across the world.
Features: The platform provides a curated selection of properties that offer comfort, style, and practicality for families. The website has a section specifying special offers. The properties range from apartments and homes to villas and castles, and are hand-picked. The Kid & Coe team ensures that their high standards of quality and family-friendliness are met. It is a great option for those looking for a family-friendly vacation experience.
- Marketing Services: They offer comprehensive marketing services, including publishing the property in popular travel and lifestyle magazines and blogs.
- Community: Hosts of Kid & Coe can join a community of like-minded people.
- Popularity: Kid & Coe still need to reach a widespread level of popularity for more recognition.
Monthly Visits: 3.2 M
Annual Revenue: $150 M
Hopper is a popular travel booking platform that utilizes excellent technology to provide travelers with the best possible deals on flights, hotels, and rental cars. With a focus on convenience and simplicity, Hopper Homes makes it easy for users to plan and book their next trip with confidence. They use professional property managers to ensure their rentals are of high quality.
Features: The Hopper application is built on secure infrastructure, ensuring a fast and authentic user experience. It is a magnificent choice for finding the best deals and creating a memorable travel experience.
- User-Friendly App: Hopper’s app is designed with a clean and intuitive interface.
- Personalized Recommendations: Hopper’s AI algorithms can provide personalized travel recommendations based on the user’s preferences and travel history.
- No-Website: Hopper can only be accessed through its mobile application.
Monthly Visits: 1.3 M
Annual Revenue: $3.3 M
If you’re looking for an alternative to Airbnb and Vrbo that caters specifically to those who prefer camping and outdoor adventures, Hipcamp is the perfect option. Hipcamp is an alternative to Airbnb but for those who love spending time in nature. They have lists of over 425,000 campsites across the United States.
Features: Hipcamp offers a wide range of camping stays, including tents, RV parks, cabins, and treehouses, offering a unique experience for campers. Hipcamp search options allow you to find the perfect campground based on location, activities in the area, amenities, and even landscapes.
- Connect with nature: Hipcamp’s mission is to connect people with nature, which is reflected in their offerings.
- Affordable: The camps are cost-effective.
- Limited Geographical Reach: Hipcamp is only available in the United States.
Final Thoughts on Best Alternatives to Airbnb
You are now aware of the best alternatives to Airbnb therefore it won’t be difficult for you to book your next stay. No doubt Airbnb is the most popular and successful travel vacation rental. But not everyone may want or need the same experience that Airbnb offers. Alternatives Airbnb such as Vrbo, Vacasa, Kid & Coe, Hopper Homes, and Agoda Homes offer a unique travel stay and cater to specific niche markets.
Before booking your next stay it’s important to consider what type of experience you want. Then start looking for it along with what specific needs you have.
If you are a backpacker who is looking forward for a relaxed vacation with amazing nature view then book yourself a cruise. Learn about the best sites to book a cruise and enjoy your stay at Cruise.
How can Agicent Assist You to Create App Like Airbnb?
Recently, we have started referring to ourselves as an “App Startup Studio” instead of simply being called an “App Development Company”. Our team of highly skilled professionals can assist you in developing an app like Airbnb from scratch. We understand the requirements for an app and want to help you pre-build a solution to get your app to market faster. Our team of app developers have expertise in using the latest technologies and programming languages such as Kotlin, Java, Swift, Native, React Native, Flutter, etc.
Agicent can provide end-to-end solutions for your app development needs, helping you bring your vision for an app like Airbnb to life.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's difficult to determine the exact revenue generated by vacation rentals globally. However, the vacation rental industry is growing significantly, with estimates suggesting it to be worth hundreds of billions of dollars. According to Statista, the revenue generated by vacation rentals is projected to reach US $19.39 Billion in 2023.
Airbnb's top rival in the vacation rental market is VRBO, which boasts an impressive 2 million listings in 190 countries and continues to expand. If you are part of the vacation rental industry or want to enter, it is crucial to be aware of VRBO as it is the second most important website to consider, following Airbnb
The best alternative to Airbnb in the United States is Vacasa. It is a full-service vacation rental management company that takes care of all aspects of managing vacation rentals, including listing and marketing the property, communicating with guests, handling bookings and payments, and providing housekeeping and maintenance services. Whereas Airbnb is a peer-to-peer platform that connects travelers directly with property owners. It is a more cost-effective option for those looking to rent out their property, but it also requires more effort on the property owner's part, as they are responsible for managing the listing, communicating with guests, and cleaning the property after each stay.
There are several key factors that can determine the success of a vacation rental app: User Experience and Design, Features and Functionality, Marketing and Advertising, Data Analytics, User Acquisition and Continuous Development. App development is not just limited to launch, but rather an ongoing process. Regular updates, new feature implementations and bug fixation should be carried out from time-to-time for a better user experience. You are most welcome to review our finest and greatest work.
The cost of creating an app similar to Airbnb can vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the app, the development team, the number of features and functionalities, and the platform being used. On average, the cost of app development like Airbnb in the USA can range from USD 35,000 to USD 60,000 plus.