You’ve a web idea and now wondering that How much does it cost to build a website? Well the cost of web development starts from $ 500 (for a simple WP site) to $ 20 K (for a highly customized website that does awesome things like social networking or video streaming) or even more. But that’s a huge spread, right? So how do you know how much your “Web development project” will cost? Well, in this article we’ll help you identifying the “Size” and “Type” of your web project and its corresponding cost range with some easy examples and ideas.
As you may have seen before, we’ve written some in-depth articles on cost to create mobile apps before, there is even an app cost calculator must have popped up on this page by now . Now this post of ours is going to be our sincere effort to answer the question of How much does it cost to build a website?
Similar to the cost to develop an app a website development cost will also vary by website’s size, type, complexity and of course your budget and the developer’s location (offshore, nearshore, local). The web today is as smarter and smoother as it was never before. With the usage of advance and secure technologies and frameworks like angular, node.js, reactjs, vuejs, AI engines, chatbots blended with the power of AWS offerings – web today can practically do any function you want them to do and in fastest and most secure way.
All that you need is a solid team of web app developers (front end developers, backend developers, full stack developers), Web designers, and web testers to create and launch your web app.
There are majorly 3 ways that you can get your web application developed follows –
1. You do it yourself which is not always easier unless you know or learn web coding yourself. In order for your ot develop your web project yourself, you’ll need to learn technologies like angularjs, node.js or php, laravel and html, jss, jquery and be able to devote a lot (a lot!) of time in coding. This method is the most cost effective but not effective business wise since it takes a lot of your time that should be going into handling business side of the things.
2. Hire a web developer hourly basis you pay them as they work through your project. For a good web project you’ll need to hire one or all of following personnel –
– Hire a Front end developer/ angularjs developer who knows html, jquery, css. (Starts from $ 18/ hour)
– Hire a full stack developer (one who knows both angularjs, and nodejs and related technologies). (Starts from $ 22/ hour)
– Hire a Backend Developer/ Node.js developer who knows DB programming. (Starts from $ 18/ hour)
– Hire a PHP Developer/ Laravel Developer/ Codeigniter Developer in case you’re using a LAMP Stack. (Starts from $ 15/ hour)
– Hire a DevOps Engineer. (Starts from $ 30/ hour)
– Hire a UI/ UX Designer who creates design using photoshop or sketch. (Starts from $ 12/ hour)
– Hire a Web testing Engineer. (Starts from $ 12/ hour)
Please know that one person can’t usually do all what a web development project needs, and hiring a team on hourly basis can be really costly if you’ve not done it before. It works great for ongoing/ existing web projects when you know how to handle a team of web developers/ designers yourself or if you’ve a team of managers at your end. But if you’re a bootstrapping web or mobile startup then its not advisable to hire on hourly basis.
3. Hire Web Development Companies This is by far the best way to create your website most cost effectively, faster, and professionally. You can hire a web development firm on a fixed price fixed project basis and then they’ll take care of the rest. A web development company like Agicent will assign your project to a web team comprising of all kind of web developers, designers, and supervisors. You will be bothered about only the project delivery and not about managing the team for day to day work. You define your web features and get a fixed price from us and then we deliver as per the price.
Let us now discuss How much does it cost to build a website? using the 3rd method of Hiring a web development company in India on fixed price basis by dividing the website projects into several types and sizes with examples –
Category 1 – A simple wordpress website with simple design, 5 to 10 pages, only text and photographs and inquiry form, and may be a blog will cost $ 1000 to maximum $ 2000. Such sites usually take not more than 10 days to develop and needs no complex coding or database programming.
A good example of such simple website is this landing page website for SmartIRX Apps – https://www.smartirx.com/ . Some other similar landing page sites are https://www.rateyourfears.com/, https://pregmoapp.com/ .
Category 2 – A functional Web App that performs some functions more than just displaying text or video, may be an ecommerce cart made using magento or a small social network, or job search site, or a two way communication site between school and parents will cost you between $ 5000 to $ 10,000.
Such websites are useful, do some important functions as examples quoted above, and have a custom design and custom code implemented according to the specifications provided. These websites ain’t plug and play CMS driven websites, but intelligently crafted “web applications” that deal with data calculations, custom UI flows, databases and more. A good example can be A lawyer searching site like Accessq, or a news site like https://inshorts.com/en/read.
Category 3 – Highly functional web app with strong customized backend CMS, Admin Panel, and large dynamic content, such websites do everything like 2nd category web Apps PLUS they do more functions like handling user generated content, photos, pictures, editing of multimedia, handling various attributes of users profiles, makes sure content renders in best quality across desktop, mobile and tablets and what not. Even the backend admin of such sites are highly customized and not standard ones with features. Such websites cost anywhere from $ 12000 to $ 25000 and may be even more if work is of ongoing nature. A good example of such web application is https://www.wellcure.com or Doctor’s panel of https://www.smartirx.com/doctors/signup (Try signing up to see some functionality – its a comprehensive EMR panel for doctors!).
Category 4 Comprehensive Web projects that also sync with corresponding Mobile Apps, wearable apps and do everything that category 3 web apps do PLUS they handle more level of complex user data, enable more functionality for end users, and have a great degree of privacy and security settings for everyone. A good social network (not facebook the giant though) with large no of users with large number of functionality like a buy & sell site (like olx.in) or a real estate portal can be good examples. Such projects are ofcourse developed over time, and incur costs as they progress and not one time.
Category 5 Enterprise Web Applications – These custom web applications are usually made for the business users or Enterprise users to do highly specific IT jobs in order to solve any problem or to improve functioning of an organization. Even though there are many pre-packaged products for organizations to use for their operations and ERP needs, the requirement of a custom web application to solve your own “organization problems” will never go down. Such applications can cost as low as $ 2 K but most of the times they go beyond $ 10 K mark because of their unique nature, complexity, and problem solving capabilities. A warehouse can get a custom app created to keep a data of scanned boxes at each collection table or an organization will want to have a sales summary app created for their sales staff integrated with their existing ERP like SAP and so on.
Category 6 Custom Content Publishing tools and admin panels for websites and mobile apps and these are usually done as a part of the mobile app development project. A standard Admin panel may cost you $ 1500 to 2500 while an highly customized one can go to $ 5K or beyond. Users of such web applications are usually app or web admins so there is no big UI work needed, but ofcourse a lot of delicate logical work goes in here.
These are some of the most “common type of web projects categories” that we deal with almost regularly and which is why quoted these to answer the questions How much does it cost to build a website? However, each web project (or app project) is innovative and different in itself and therefore it is important to prepare a custom quote for a “custom web development project” instead of just putting a category label and pricing.
Business analysts at Agicent App Company work closely with you in order to gather your project requirements and summarizing those into meaningful Scope document. They will ask you various questions in order to nailing down on the feature list and that is against which a web development quote is prepared. The analyst then works with web developer team in order to establish feasibility of features, time needed to implement, and deliverables sequence and then send you a custom web development proposal.
We offer non-obligation Free Project scoping, analysis, and estimation services to any one looking to get a web project created. All you need to do is to send us an inquiry via email@example.com or ring 347-467-1089 and discuss your project brief. We’ll take of rest as Pro Web Developers at your service.
We hope this post helps anyone who is looking an answer to the question How much does it cost to build a website? If you’ve any pro tips, comments or even criticism then feel free to post the same in comments, and we’ll be happy to update our article mentioning your credit.
We suggest you reading following related articles next –
1. How much does it cost to create a mobile app?
2. How much does it cost to maintain an app?